Energy Solutions is seeking a full-time Building Codes Fellow to join our Policy & Ratings Team. The person selected to fill this position shall have extensive expertise in building code development and the policy and technical background to provide strategic leadership to teams that aim to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from the built environment.
As a member of the Energy Solutions team you will have a broad impact on state and national energy codes, and energy efficiency markets through our work for major North American utilities, city and state governments, and other national leaders in energy efficiency policy. This unique opportunity, paired with Energy Solutions’ mission driven approach, creates a perfect environment for individuals who want to have an active voice in shaping the energy future in California and beyond.
Daily responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide strategic leadership to team that is dedicated to reducing greenhouse gas emissions from the built environment.
- Collaborate with colleagues to develop and implement strategies to successfully revise building codes including input on code change recommendations, technical analyses, and stakeholder engagement.
- Author, review and provide quality assurance for technical analyses and reports related to updates to the building code.
- Facilitate collaboration across internal and external teams with the goal of achieving shared goals effectively.
- Communicate technical information to clients, stakeholders, and policy decision makers (e.g., staff from federal/state/local agencies) and provide feedback and guidance to colleagues in effective communication.
- Guide team in efforts to overcome technical and management challenges.
- Participate in code development proceedings (e.g., IECC, ASHRAE 90.1, ASHRAE 189.1, Title 24, Part 6, state adoption of model codes), leveraging relationships to work effectively with all stakeholders.
- Offer suggestions to improve compliance with existing and proposed code requirements.
- Lead development of proposals and business development efforts.
- A Bachelor’s degree in an energy-related or policy-related discipline including: Public Policy, Economics, or Engineering (environmental, electrical, energy, chemical, or mechanical)
- A minimum 15 years of work experience (graduate school years applicable), including a minimum of 5 years of experience related to developing / revising building energy codes.
- Familiarity with ASHRAE Standard 90.1, ASHRAE Standard 189.1, the International Energy Conservation Code, California Energy Code, model stretch codes (e.g., NYStretch, CALGreen).
- Understanding of trends in building design to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in all building types and demonstrated ability to provide thought leadership to achieve energy and climate goals.
- Technical knowledge of building code opportunities to reduce energy use and GHG emissions including strategies for system efficiency and controls for building envelope, HVAC, water heating, lighting, generation, storage, and load management.
- Technical knowledge of analyses using building energy modeling using EnergyPlus including parametric simulations modifying multiple variables across building types and climate zones; familiarity with ResCheck, ComCheck, and the California Building Energy Code Compliance Software for Commercial (CBECC-Com) and Residential (CBECC-Res) buildings.
- Professional experience facilitating collaborative dialogues with stakeholders that participate in code development initiatives and energy policy issues
- Existing professional network that include contacts within utilities, government and professional organizations as well as with vendors and manufacturers.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including a demonstrated ability to write and review reports, technical papers, and provide technical presentations to knowledgeable audiences
- Comfortable making strategic and tactical decisions.
- Willingness to conduct occasional business travel
CLICK HERE to apply.
For more information about Energy Solutions, please visit us on our website at www.energy-solution.com.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes a generous retirement package. Energy Solutions provides an excellent benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance, other pre-tax contribution plans and an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP).
Information necessary to complete background checks and drug screens is required. Permanent authorization to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment. EOE.