Building Performance Analyst
EYP is seeking a Building Performance Analyst, specializing in Energy Modeling. This individual will be responsible for providing research and building performance analysis to support design decisions and integration of strategies/technologies for achieving high performance design. This position will be based in Washington, DC.
Work with design teams to assist in development and implementation of appropriate high-performance design solutions with an emphasis on energy modeling:
- Research technologies
- Perform energy modeling during early design stage to inform decisions
- Prepare presentation materials and/or report summarizing analysis results
- Support project teams with building performance analysis for daylighting and CFD modeling
- Participate in project team meetings to facilitate intra-disciplinary and interdisciplinary communication and collaboration
- Prepare presentation materials to facilitate acceptance of HPD concepts
- Consult with Director of High Performance Design and local Resource Director on appropriate staffing assignments and resource allocation
- Contribute to training and development of technical staff through EYP/U and outside opportunities
- Participate in appropriate professional organization activities
- Develop relationships with clients through personal contacts, participation in conferences and presentation of lecture material
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred in Mechanical Engineering, Building Science, Architectural Engineering, or closely related field
- At least 2 years of experience with demonstrated energy modeling experience and advancement in sustainable building design
- Experience with Rhino, Grasshopper and associated plug-ins (Ladybug, Honeybee) preferred
- Experience with energy modeling using various programs such as EnergyPlus, DesignBuilder, OpenStudio, IES, eQuest, and Trane Trace with a desire to expand expertise
- LEED Accredited Professional preferred
- Highly proficient in BIM
- Familiarity with computer coding and using tools such as MS Excel to manipulate model inputs and summarize and visualize modeled results
- Programming and scripting skills (python, ruby) is desired
- Proficient with Word, Powerpoint, Adobe Suite including Acrobat, Photoshop and InDesign
- Must be knowledgeable of design, construction processes and building operations for various building types.
- Familiarity with HVAC fundamentals including thermodynamics, physics, mathematics, fluid dynamics and energy/mass balance equations
- Understanding of HVAC system design and operation of various systems types including dedicated outside air, underfloor air distribution, radiant heating and cooling, chilled beams, geothermal ground-coupled, thermal storage, variable refrigerant flow and combined heat and power
- Understanding of energy codes, thermal comfort, ventilation air, and lighting standards (ASHRAE Standards 90.1, 189.1, 55, 62, IES Lighting Handbook) and federal mandates
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Expertise in area of concentration
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work well both independently and on teams
About the Organization
/ EYP Inc. is a global provider of comprehensive high-performance building design, research, and consulting services. Our 500 professionals work across 14 offices in the United States. The only firm to have been ranked #1 for energy and sustainability for two consecutive years by Architect Magazine, EYP is committed to creating rich, productive, and inspiring environments that promote human well-being, preserve natural resources, and provide flexibility and resilience for the future. Our knowledge-based innovation strategy helps promote action-oriented public dialogue about the future of the built environment.
We are five sectors - Higher Education, Government, Healthcare, Science & Technology, and Energy - who work as one firm to help our clients address some of the most critical issues facing our nation and our world.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.