As a Building Performance Consultant, you will be responsible for the analysis of high performing design strategies and concepts, primarily through performance modeling. Additionally, the Building Performance Consultant will develop and optimize analytical tools and processes to provide timely, design-relevant insight to internal design teams, partners and clients.
• Identifies building system options and design strategies (conventional and non-conventional) for analysis and establishes analysis criteria and methods.
• Uses whole building and component (energy, water, daylighting, CFD, etc.) simulation and analysis tools to evaluate capital project and planning engagements, building system performance, building system sizing and design, and architectural design development.
• Performs economic analysis (life-cycle cost, simple payback, return on investment, etc.) of building design strategies to support system selection and design optimization.
• Performs energy and water related building rating system and code research as applicable to the project.
• Completes building rating system and code compliance documentation required for project certifications and permits.
• Coordinates and collaborates with project team members in the analysis of systems and system components. Coordination occurs primarily through interpersonal communication during coordination/one-on-one sessions and through the use of appropriate software.
• Works to establish a positive working relationship with project partners based on competence, trust and respect.
• Anticipates and meets project deadlines including balancing multiple projects and priorities while responding to changes in deadline, scope, and design as they occur.
• Delegates work, identifies specific tasks, and balances work for Building Performance Consultant I or subject matter expert in order to meet client demands and project deadlines. Reviews work for completeness and accuracy.
• Uses effective writing and presentations skills to prepare analysis and consulting reports and presentation materials.
• Reads relevant project correspondence, documents process and meeting notes, and maintains established project filing structures.
• Performs quality review of own work and participates in additional quality efforts as assigned.
• Participates in the advancement of building performance practice, processes and tools as assigned.
• Benchmarks project design, simulated and measured performance data.
• Takes ownership of work performed.
• Uses established standards, guides and tools.
• 3-5 years of building performance experience in engineering consulting capacity.
• Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, electrical, or architectural engineering (or another engineering discipline) from an accredited program; or commensurate degree and experience with building systems.
• Advanced understanding of building systems across disciplines and proven experience in at least one discipline such as HVAC, plumbing/piping, lighting, instrumentation and controls, or building envelope systems.
• Advanced understanding of major tenets of high performance design including renewable and alternative energy strategies, daylighting, embodied energy, indoor environmental quality, material composition, water efficiency, life cycle assessment, and built environment planning.
• Ability to use at least one building system simulation tool, including EnergyPlus, IES-VE, TRNSYS, CFD, or Radiance, for consulting and analysis. Strong understanding and application of simulation tools for the appropriate systems and technologies.
• Experience in computer operation for building system analysis and engineering calculation programs.
• Proficiency in use of CAD/BIM software as necessary for building performance analysis and consulting.
• Understanding of applicable rating systems, design codes and standards, and ability to interpret them.
• Industry certification or license applicable to building system design and performance including but not limited to LEED AP, ASHRAE HPDP, ASHRAE BEMP, ASHRAE BEAP, Green Globes Professional, or AEE CEM.
• Passed the Fundamentals of Engineering exam (FE) or the ability to obtain the Professional Engineering license (PE) in one or more states.
• Knowledge of or ability to learn application programming language (C++, Ruby, Python, Visual Basic, etc.)
To be considered, apply online at www.aeieng.com.
AEI is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer/Vet/Disabled