The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), located in beautiful Golden, Colorado, is a leader in the U.S. Department of Energy’s effort to secure an energy future for the nation that is environmentally and economically sustainable.
Commercial Buildings Research Engineer – Energy Modeler (Los Angeles)
Job Req R3865
This position is based in the Los Angeles, CA metropolitan area, however, an initial 3-6-month training period in Golden, CO will be required.
NREL’s Commercial Buildings Research Group has a new energy modeling position available. The successful applicant will be responsible for research-level energy analyses, with a focus on research relevant to the California commercial buildings sector. Work will consist primarily of simulating and evaluating energy use in buildings using EnergyPlus and OpenStudio. Additional tasks will include data analysis, basic computer code development (i.e., writing OpenStudio Measures) to perform sophisticated parametric analyses, and interfacing and presenting the outcome of research to NREL’s industry partners. The hired candidate will be expected to publish relevant research outcomes in peer-reviewed scientific journals and must be comfortable working across teams to remove uncertainty from project requirements and build consensus around outcomes.
- Strong knowledge base with respect to building science principles, theories, and concepts, including thermodynamics, heat transfer, simulation of energy systems in buildings, and data analytics.
- Intimate working knowledge of OpenStudio, including a demonstrable history of using the platform to successfully model commercial buildings. Applicants unable to show sufficient experience with OpenStudio will not be reviewed further.
- The successful candidate is to have strong interpersonal and teamwork skills, and a demonstrated track record of independently tackling new problems with confidence, enthusiasm, and a positive can-do attitude.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Strong technical writing and presentation skills.
Required Education, Experience, and Skills
Relevant PhD. Or, relevant Master's Degree and 3 or more years of experience. Or, relevant Bachelor's Degree and 5 or more years of experience. Demonstrates broad understanding and wide application of engineering technical procedures, principles, theories and concepts in the field. General knowledge of other related disciplines. Demonstrates leadership in one or more areas of team, task or project lead responsibilities. Demonstrated experience in management of projects. Very good writing, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Familiarity with California energy initiatives and utility programs.
- Experience in designing, evaluating, and modeling advanced HVAC systems.
- An understanding of the energy-related challenges and opportunities inherent in designing and constructing campus- and community-scale developments, especially those pursuing energy-efficient or net-zero goals.
- Proficiency with experimental design principles, uncertainty analysis, and basic and advanced statistical analysis methods.
EEO Policy / E-Verify
NREL's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, age, color, sex, religion, national origin, marital or veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
NREL validates right to work using E-Verify. NREL will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. For additional information, please click here https://www.nrel.gov/careers/employment-policies.html.
Pre-employment drug testing required.
Submit Your Resume
Please apply online at: www.nrel.gov/careers and search for Req R3865
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at NREL you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.