Morrissey Engineering is seeking an experienced Building Energy Analyst / Sustainability Consultant. This person will perform building energy analysis tasks using software, spreadsheets, and custom calculations to quantify energy efficiency opportunities for commercial building projects. This position may also help develop recommendations to optimize proposed or existing building systems (including envelope, HVAC, lighting, domestic hot water, etc). Tasks also include generation of energy models throughout the design process, documentation for 2030-challenge compliance, green building certifications (e.g. LEED) and code compliance. Energy analysis of in-operation building utility data will also be included, using existing processes and involvement in development of new.
Sustainability role will act to support and collaborate with other in-house sustainability specialists to communicate requirements for green building certification to members of project teams, including architects, engineers, contractors and building owners.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Extract energy efficiency-related information from drawings, specifications, and verbal feedback by the design team to compare to baseline requirements (energy codes, CBECS, 2030 challenge, or other as applicable).
- Perform whole-building energy simulation computer modeling throughout the design process.
- Interact with other design professionals and clients (internal and external).
- Assist with incorporation and documentation of mechanical, electrical, and plumbing sustainability features into applicable projects. Prepare and maintain documentation for LEED, WELL, Fitwel and other rating systems as appropriate.
- Analyze existing building utility data, normalize for dates and weather. Compare historical data to energy modeling predictions using published measurement and verification standards (ASHRAE Guideline 14, IPMVP, etc).
- Create existing building energy models to gauge energy conservation measure impacts.
- Write reports communicating certification and energy analysis findings, and design recommendations for improved building performance.
- Keep abreast of the latest in energy modeling software and technologies.
- Support internal sustainability efforts at the 4940 Building, Morrissey Engineering’s Triple-Platinum certified headquarters building.
- Other functions as related to the above items, or the interest of the successful candidate.
Personal attributes include being self-motivated, being able to work independently, good oral and written communications skills, organizational skills, and the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously at various stages of design.
This person will have the ability to model a complete building and its systems using software tools such as eQuest, EnergyPlus, Trane Trace 700, IES-VE, or similar.
Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Architectural or Mechanical Engineering preferred. Two to four years of energy modeling and green building experience. Knowledge of building codes, standards, and protocols referenced in LEED and other sustainability standards (ASHRAE Standards 90.1, 55, and 62.1). Prefer accreditations including LEED AP, WELL AP, and others.
Knowledge of other third-party certification rating systems: Living Building Challenge, Net Zero, Passive House, BREEAM, a plus.
Self-motivated, engaged, and able to work in teams. Readily offer high-level client service, direction and ongoing support. Reliable, detailed oriented, task oriented, and organized. Desire to continuously learn and enhance technical and professional skill set.
This position offers rewarding opportunities for growth for a motivated individual, who is looking for a meaningful role in our industry. Apply via Indeed at https://www.indeed.com/job/energy-analyst-sustainability-consultant-e493ba33ecef0e57