Apply here: http://beyondefficiency.us/jobs
Seeking progressive building simulation expert with 6+ years post-academic experience aligned with this role. You're ready to hit the ground running with current projects as well as leading new work initiatives. You understand how buildings are put together and how occupants interact with them, and are able to fully leverage the capabilities of modeling while understanding the limitations of applying it to the real-world complexity of buildings. You thrive on collaborating with colleagues, educating and learning from design teams, and presenting results to clients.
Why join Beyond Efficiency?
We empower people to create enduring human-centered buildings.
Beyond Efficiency is a highly respected consulting team of progressive engineers and architects with offices in Berkeley, California and Jackson Hole, Wyoming. We provide energy modeling, engineering and green building services for commercial, educational, multifamily and single-family residential projects throughout the western U.S.. Our broad client base includes small architecture firms, world-renowned universities, market-rate and affordable housing developers.
We consider our key role as "client advocate" to help ensure a client's project objectives are achieved. We do this by asking insightful questions at project initiation to establish clear, actionable goals and performance requirements, and then filling knowledge and skills gaps that often exist in project teams. Our educational philosophy, holistic understanding of buildings, and technical expertise give teams confidence to make better decisions and create buildings that improve people’s lives.
Beyond Efficiency offers a relaxed and flexible work environment on the edge of Berkeley's 4th Street shopping district or the heart of beautiful downtown Jackson Hole. We have a liberal vacation policy paired with moderate billable hour requirements, competitive salaries, generous professional development allowances, 100% heath insurance coverage, commuter benefits, 401(k) retirement plan with employer matching, and unlimited opportunities to carve your future and make a difference. Learn more about us, our values and our approach to our work at www.beyondefficiency.us.
- Consult to architects in early design phase to analyze passive design and occupant comfort strategies and inform conceptual direction for building massing and orientation, envelope assemblies, shading, and daylighting
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary teams and demonstrate credibility to give teams confidence to make better decisions based on objective data and real-world insights
- Leverage a range of energy simulation software for holistic building optimization such as OpenStudio, EnergyPlus, IES, Design Builder or eQuest; Radiance, DIVA or other lighting tools; and Ladybug tools (Ruby or Python programming experience is a bonus)
- Apply in-depth understanding of advanced commercial HVAC systems to evaluate options, simulate performance, analyze results, develop recommendations, prepare financial analyses, and present to clients
- Collaborate with architects to assess and optimize design features related to occupant well-being including glare, thermal comfort, controls strategies, daylight, views, and electric lighting
- Maintain leading-edge knowledge of best sustainability practices by influential designers and engineers and bring appropriate opportunities to projects
- Interpret and apply code and program requirements for Title 24, CALGreen, IECC, building codes, LEED, WELL, CHPS, Living Building Challenge, incentives programs and other relevant standards
- Review plans, documentation, and contractor submittals for alignment with final energy models
- Prepare logically organized, technically accurate, and clearly presented emails and reports
- Be an effective project manager, acting as main point of contact for clients, tracking schedules and deliverables, and producing or delegating as needed to get the work done
- Leverage other team members' expertise or knowledge when needed; understand when to ask for help
- Outline work plans prior to starting work, maintain logically organized and labeled files, and adequately document decisions or activities
- Provide regular status updates or reports in web-based project tracking system and review progress with team
- Understand contracted work scopes, work within budgets and meet billable targets
- Establish thought leadership by writing blog posts, delivering presentations, being active in outside organizations, and educating and engaging with the greater community
- Do what needs to be done that may fall outside your formalized job roles
- Engineering or architecture degree or equivalent education or experience
- Six years relevant post-academic work experience
- One or more credentials from The Association of Energy Engineers (AEE), ASHRAE, or CABEC
- Commitment to professional excellence and high performance design demonstrated through continual learning, active involvement in organizations, and regular participation in conferences or events
- Technical aptitude with ability to quickly learn and integrate new concepts and tools
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (clear, concise, logically presented)
- Critical thinker with innate ability to challenge assumptions, ask the right questions, and solve problems
- Strong judgment with understanding of best way to proceed in challenging situations
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- High integrity, doing the right thing even when it's hard
- High initiative, always looking to improve things