Apply here: https://www.katerra.com/en/jobs/katerra.html?gh_jid=4093038002
Katerra is a technology company transforming property development, design, and construction—from start to finish. We are building an entirely new kind of company that brings together expertise in design, technology, material sourcing, manufacturing, and construction as a single integrated offering.
With this unique approach, we have the opportunity to design and build beyond compromise. Beautiful, efficient, sustainable–we can do it all. The era of design concessions is over.
At Katerra, we lead from every seat. Our ideal team members are self-starters that embrace ambiguity, think big, and bring their own uncompromising standards of excellence.
One of Katerra’s cultural principles is Diversity. We believe different backgrounds, ideas, and skillsets result in better outcomes. Katerra does not discriminate in employment based on race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Katerra encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQIA, people with disabilities, veterans and those with diverse life experiences.
Building Sciences is a small, diverse team within the technology group at Katerra. We act as subject matter experts and are responsible for:
(1) using market research and first principles to define product constraints, and
(2) exposing opportunities hidden behind long-held industry traditions.
Because the challenges we tackle are complex and touch many parts of the company, the Building Sciences team spends much of its time gathering information from across Katerra. We spend time with designers, vendors, the factory, and the field. We are responsible for creating physical and theoretical system models to capture the fundamental dynamics we observe. By defining clear and rigorous constraints and targets, we position our technology and product efforts for success.
Energy Product Analyst
The Building Sciences team at Katerra is looking for a confident and experienced energy analyst to support requirements definition for Katerra technology and products. “Product” at Katerra refers to both whole building products and building components like HVAC systems, wall systems, windows, and renewable generation. To determine performance at this variety of scales, the candidate will need a solid foundation in energy first principles and familiarity with both building-specific and broader purpose analysis tools.
The energy product analyst should be excellent at advancing from preliminary ideas into a well-structured strategy to define clear technology requirements. The candidate should be adept at stitching together tools and workflows to collect data, develop models, simulate performance, crunch data, and elegantly present findings. The candidate should be able to work independently on projects and be energized by a fast-paced, dynamic work environment. She or he must be a strong leader that can pull together resources from across Katerra to deliver quality deliverables, but should also take pleasure in self-performing detailed technical and production work. The candidate should enjoy keeping a healthy balance between academic curiosity and professional urgency - between deep innovation and the harvesting of low-hanging fruit.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The candidate will be responsible to:
- Coordinate with Katerra stakeholders to collect and analyze energy data from across our building product life cycle
- Inform and drive development of life cycle energy metrics at Katerra
- Leverage third party and home-grown analysis tools to assess whole building, building component, and renewable energy component performance
- Batch simulate energy models to test input sensitivity and create probability distributions to drive optimal design and product requirements
- Coordinate with partners to review and iterate product requirements, then initiate joint development arrangements
- With customers and utilities, facilitate the collection of meter data from customer sites
- Leverage time series data from energy submeters and extract performance statistics and representative end use profiles
- Determine unlevered financial return on investment based upon energy savings on residential and commercial energy bills
- Create and deliver compelling, visual presentations to internal stakeholders and partners
Required Skills & Experience
- BS, MS, and/or PhD in Building Science or related field
- 5+ years of relevant experience in distributed renewable energy development, building engineering, architecture, or product development
- Proven competence with whole building energy simulation and batch scripting
- Ability to clean and process raw time series data and perform statistical analysis (e.g. Python Pandas)
- Strong interest in and performance understanding of solar and energy storage systems
- Excellent writing, organization, and visual communication skills
- Team player driven by a desire to make better buildings
- Ability to communicate complex design concepts clearly and quickly using either manual (sketches, mockups, etc) and/or digital tools (Sketchup, Adobe, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to interact directly with partners and customers, represent Katerra, and skillfully interpret design requirements
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Experience developing product or technology requirements
- Strong network within the building science community
- Knowledge of the building code and sustainability frameworks (Living Building, LEED, Well, etc)
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES:
Please note that KATERRA does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, KATERRA will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, KATERRA explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of KATERRA.