Apply here http://beyondefficiency.us/jobs
Seeking a hands-on person with 6+ years post-academic experience aligned with this role. You're ready to hit the ground running with current projects as well as leading new work initiatives. You are highly experienced with one or more of the following: energy audits, commissioning (Cx), measurement and verification (M&V), facility management, mechanical systems design or energy modeling. You thrive on troubleshooting in the field and collaborating with colleagues, and are skilled with project management and design review.
This position is also available at our Jackson, WY location.
Why join Beyond Efficiency?
We empower people to create enduring human-centered buildings.
Beyond Efficiency is a highly respected consulting team of progressive engineers and architects with offices in Berkeley, California and Jackson Hole, Wyoming. We provide energy modeling, engineering and green building services for commercial, educational, multifamily and single-family residential projects throughout the western U.S.. Our broad client base includes small architecture firms, world-renowned universities, market-rate and affordable housing developers.
We consider our key role as "client advocate" to help ensure a client's project objectives are achieved. We do this by asking insightful questions at project initiation to establish clear, actionable goals and performance requirements, and then filling knowledge and skills gaps that often exist in project teams. Our educational philosophy, holistic understanding of buildings, and technical expertise give teams confidence to make better decisions and create buildings that improve people’s lives.
Beyond Efficiency offers a relaxed and flexible work environment on the edge of Berkeley's 4th Street shopping district or the heart of beautiful downtown Jackson Hole. We have a liberal vacation policy paired with moderate billable hour requirements, competitive salaries, generous professional development allowances, 100% heath insurance coverage, commuter benefits, 401(k) retirement plan with employer matching, and unlimited opportunities to carve your future and make a difference. Learn more about us, our values and our approach to our work at www.beyondefficiency.us.
- Recommend and implement strategies for high performance buildings including mechanical and plumbing systems, zero energy features, renewables, and occupancy-phase monitoring and evaluation for new and existing multifamily and non-residential projects
- Evaluate HVAC and electrical equipment measures including boilers, pumps, fans, chillers, controls, solar collectors, thermal storage, and load shifting; and understand how to measure performance during operation
- Spearhead development of occupancy-phase monitoring and evaluation/verification (M&V) service for residential and non-residential projects
- Develop proposals and implement building energy audit work scopes
- Interpret and apply code and program requirements for Title 24, CALGreen, IECC, building codes, LEED, CHPS, and other relevant standards
- Perform data analysis, review and critique results, develop recommendations, prepare financial analyses, and present to clients
- Review plans, documentation, and contractor submittals for compliance with requirements
- Complete construction field visits to review progress, verify compliance with goals, and solve field issues
- Prepare logically organized, technically accurate, and clearly presented emails and reports
- Facilitate development of Owner's Project Requirements (OPR) documents with client at project initiation; coordinate and collaborate with clients and project teams to achieve goals as set out in OPR documents
- Be an effective project manager, acting as main point of contact for clients, tracking schedules and deliverables, and producing or delegating as needed to get the work done
- Leverage other team members' expertise or knowledge when needed; understand when to ask for help
- Outline work plans prior to starting work, maintain logically organized and labeled files, and adequately document decisions or activities
- Provide regular status updates or reports in web-based project tracking system and review progress with team
- Understand contracted work scopes, work within budgets and meet billable targets
- Establish thought leadership by writing blog posts, delivering presentations, being active in outside organizations, and educating and engaging with the greater community
- Do what needs to be done that may fall outside your formalized job roles
- Engineering degree or equivalent education or experience, P.E. preferred
- Six years relevant post-academic work experience
- One or more credentials from The Association of Energy Engineers (AEE), ASHRAE, Building Commissioning Association (BCA), or National Environmental Balancing Bureau (NEBB)
- Commitment to professional excellence and high performance design demonstrated through continual learning, active involvement in organizations, and regular participation in conferences or events
- Technical aptitude with ability to quickly learn and integrate new concepts and tools
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (clear, concise, logically presented)
- Critical thinker with innate ability to challenge assumptions, ask the right questions, and solve problems
- Strong judgment with understanding of best way to proceed in challenging situations
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- High integrity, doing the right thing even when it's hard
- High initiative, always looking to improve things