Beyond Efficiency is seeking a passionate HERS Rater with 6+ years post-academic experience in the multifamily residential building industry to help support and grow our services in Berkeley, California. You have an engineering or other technical degree and know buildings inside and out—in fact, you've spent countless hours on construction sites and don't know how anyone could claim to be an effective consultant without having field experience. You're highly experienced with GreenPoint Rated Multifamily and LEED for Homes Midrise, thrive on troubleshooting in the field and collaborating with colleagues, and are skilled with project management and design review.
Why Join Beyond Efficiency?
We empower people to create enduring human-centered buildings.
Beyond Efficiency is a highly respected consulting team of progressive engineers and architects with offices in Berkeley, California and Jackson Hole, Wyoming. We provide energy modeling, engineering and green building services for commercial, educational, multifamily and single-family residential projects throughout the western U.S. Our broad client base includes small architecture firms, world-renowned universities, market-rate and affordable housing developers.
We consider our key role as "client advocate" to help ensure a client's project objectives are achieved. We do this by asking insightful questions at project initiation to establish clear, actionable goals and performance requirements, and then filling knowledge and skills gaps that often exist in project teams. Our educational philosophy, holistic understanding of buildings, and technical expertise give teams confidence to make better decisions and create buildings that improve people’s lives.
Beyond Efficiency offers a relaxed and flexible work environment on the edge of Berkeley's 4th Street shopping district or the heart of beautiful downtown Jackson Hole. We have a liberal vacation policy paired with moderate billable hour requirements, competitive salaries, generous professional development allowances, 100% heath insurance coverage, commuter benefits, 401(k) retirement plan with employer matching, and unlimited opportunities to carve your future and make a difference. Learn more about us, our values and our approach to our work at www.beyondefficiency.us.
- Recommend, design, develop, and implement strategies for high-performance building enclosures, mechanical and plumbing systems, indoor air quality, and green materials for new and existing multifamily projects
- Provide field training and HERS verification services to support subcontractors in meeting requirements for Quality Insulation Installation (QII), whole-building envelope air tightness, and unit compartmentalization
- Act as a respected whole-building consultant, integrating a diverse array of knowledge to provide insightful information to clients
- Create whole-building energy models and optimization studies to support high-performance goals
- Interpret code and program requirements for Title 24, building codes, LEED for Homes, GreenPoint Rated Multifamily, Passive House, TCAC and others
- Review plans, documentation, and contractor submittals for compliance with requirements
- Complete construction field visits to review progress, verify compliance with goals, and solve field issues
- Administer processes for green certification, energy compliance, utility incentives, and affordable housing funding programs
- Prepare logically organized, technically accurate, and clearly presented emails and memos
- Facilitate development of Owner's Project Requirements (OPR) documents with client at project initiation; coordinate and collaborate with clients and project teams to achieve goals as set out in OPR documents
- Be an effective project manager, acting as main point of contact for clients, tracking schedules and deliverables, and producing or delegating as needed to get the work done
- Leverage other team members' expertise or knowledge when needed; understand when to ask for help
- Outline work plans prior to starting work, maintain logically organized and labeled files, and adequately document decisions or activities
- Provide regular status updates or reports in web-based project tracking system and review progress with team
- Understand contracted work scopes, work within budgets and meet billable targets
- Establish thought leadership by writing blog posts, being active in outside organizations, and educating and engaging with the greater community
- Do what needs to be done that may fall outside your formalized job roles
- Engineering or architecture degree or equivalent education or experience
- Six years relevant post-academic work experience
- Two or more credentials from CalCERTS, Build It Green, USGBC, CABEC or ENERGY STAR
- Commitment to professional excellence and high performance design demonstrated through continual learning, active involvement in organizations, and regular participation in conferences or events
- Self-starter with a can-do and “get things done” attitude
- Technical aptitude with ability to quickly learn and integrate new concepts and tools
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (clear, concise, logically presented and appropriately catered to recipients)
- Critical thinker with innate ability to challenge assumptions, ask the right questions, and solve problems
- Strong judgment with understanding of best way to proceed in challenging situations
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- High integrity, doing the right thing even when it's hard
- High initiative, always looking to improve things
How to Apply
Beyond Efficiency is committed to the principle of diversity in our workspace. We believe that diverse perspectives add value to our processes and make us better able to empathize with and serve our clients, leading the way towards a more sustainable and equitable future. In that spirit, we strongly encourage applications from qualified people of all cultural and economic backgrounds, faiths, gender identities and sexual orientations.
To apply for this opportunity, please apply directly through the jobs page on our website at http://beyondefficiency.us/jobs. Direct your cover letter to Katy Hollbacher.
Beyond Efficiency will review applications and invite selected candidates for interviews on a rolling basis.