Apply here: http://beyondefficiency.us/jobs
Seeking someone who gets what Beyond Efficiency's name is all about, has 6+ years post-academic work experience aligned with this role and can hit the ground running in leading new work initiatives. You understand that people don't create buildings for the sake of efficiency; we create buildings in which to work, learn, play, teach, rejuvenate... and most importantly, live our lives. You are experienced with one or more of the following: thermal comfort analysis, shading/fenestration design and optimization for daylight and energy, design for autistic people or other sensory processing disorders, multi-generational design, wellness architecture, or active design and alliesthesia.
This position is also available at our Jackson, WY location.
Why join Beyond Efficiency?
We empower people to create enduring human-centered buildings.
Beyond Efficiency is a highly respected consulting team of progressive engineers and architects with offices in Berkeley, California and Jackson Hole, Wyoming. We provide energy modeling, engineering and green building services for commercial, educational, multifamily and single-family residential projects throughout the western U.S.. Our broad client base includes small architecture firms, world-renowned universities, market-rate and affordable housing developers.
We consider our key role as "client advocate" to help ensure a client's project objectives are achieved. We do this by asking insightful questions at project initiation to establish clear, actionable goals and performance requirements, and then filling knowledge and skills gaps that often exist in project teams. Our educational philosophy, holistic understanding of buildings, and technical expertise give teams confidence to make better decisions and create buildings that improve people’s lives.
Beyond Efficiency offers a relaxed and flexible work environment on the edge of Berkeley's 4th Street shopping district or the heart of beautiful downtown Jackson Hole. We have a liberal vacation policy paired with moderate billable hour requirements, competitive salaries, generous professional development allowances, 100% heath insurance coverage, commuter benefits, 401(k) retirement plan with employer matching, and unlimited opportunities to carve your future and make a difference. Learn more about us, our values and our approach to our work at www.beyondefficiency.us.
- Spearhead establishment of Beyond Efficiency as a thought leader and technical expert in human-centered design consulting for design teams and building owners
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary teams and recommend strategies for space planning, materials selection, daylighting, high performance electric lighting, thermal and acoustic comfort, and wellness practices for educational, commercial and healthcare occupancies
- Maintain leading-edge knowledge of human-centered design research and best practices and bring appropriate opportunities to projects
- Grow into a respected whole-building human-centered design consultant, integrating a diverse array of knowledge to provide insightful information to clients
- Work with colleagues to develop and facilitate cross-disciplinary design charettes
- Facilitate development of Owner's Project Requirements (OPR) documents with client at project initiation; coordinate and collaborate with clients and project teams to achieve goals as set out in OPR documents
- Interpret and apply code and program requirements for Title 24, CALGreen, IECC, building codes, Living Building Challenge, WELL, LEED, CHPS, Practice Greenhealth, Passive House and others
- Review plans, documentation, and contractor submittals for compliance with requirements
- Complete construction field visits to review progress, verify compliance with goals, and solve field issues
- Prepare logically organized, technically accurate, and clearly presented emails and reports
- Be an effective project manager, acting as main point of contact for clients, tracking schedules and deliverables, and producing or delegating as needed to get the work done
- Leverage other team members' expertise or knowledge when needed; understand when to ask for help
- Outline work plans prior to starting work, maintain logically organized and labeled files, and adequately document decisions or activities
- Provide regular status updates or reports in web-based project tracking system and review progress with team
- Understand contracted work scopes, work within budgets and meet billable targets
- Establish thought leadership by writing blog posts, delivering presentations, being active in outside organizations, and educating and engaging with the greater community
- Do what needs to be done that may fall outside your formalized job roles
- Architecture or engineering degree or equivalent education or experience, licensure preferred
- Six years relevant post-academic work experience
- One or more credentials from Living Building Challenge, WELL, or LEED
- Commitment to professional excellence and human-centered design demonstrated through continual learning, active involvement in organizations, and regular participation in conferences or events
- Technical aptitude with ability to quickly learn and integrate new concepts and tools
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (clear, concise, logically presented)
- Critical thinker with innate ability to challenge assumptions, ask the right questions, and solve problems
- Strong judgment with understanding of best way to proceed in challenging situations
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- High integrity, doing the right thing even when it's hard
- High initiative, always looking to improve things