Apply here: http://beyondefficiency.us/jobs
Seeking progressive mechanical designer or engineer with 4+ years post-academic building engineering experience. You understand how buildings and systems are put together and thrive on educating colleagues about how passive design improves occupant comfort and reduces heating and cooling loads. You have demonstrated creativity and technical excellence in providing mechanical and plumbing design for a variety of building types. You are also skilled with project management, design review and construction administration tasks.
This position is also available for our Berkeley, CA location.
Why join Beyond Efficiency?
We empower people to create enduring human-centered buildings.
Beyond Efficiency is a highly respected consulting team of progressive engineers and architects with offices in Berkeley, California and Jackson Hole, Wyoming. We provide energy modeling, engineering and green building services for commercial, educational, multifamily and single-family residential projects throughout the western U.S.. Our broad client base includes small architecture firms, world-renowned universities, market-rate and affordable housing developers.
We consider our key role as "client advocate" to help ensure a client's project objectives are achieved. We do this by asking insightful questions at project initiation to establish clear, actionable goals and performance requirements, and then filling knowledge and skills gaps that often exist in project teams. Our educational philosophy, holistic understanding of buildings, and technical expertise give teams confidence to make better decisions and create buildings that improve people’s lives.
Beyond Efficiency offers a relaxed and flexible work environment on the edge of Berkeley's 4th Street shopping district or the heart of beautiful downtown Jackson Hole. We have a liberal vacation policy paired with moderate billable hour requirements, competitive salaries, generous professional development allowances, 100% heath insurance coverage, commuter benefits, 401(k) retirement plan with employer matching, and unlimited opportunities to carve your future and make a difference. Learn more about us, our values and our approach to our work at www.beyondefficiency.us.
- Recommend and implement strategies for low load, high performance mechanical and plumbing systems for residential and non-residential projects
- Evaluate and design a diverse variety of systems and technologies including heat recovery, mixed-mode ventilation, hydronic, VRF, solar thermal, ground source/geothermal, plumbing and fire protection
- Develop outline specifications, Basis of Design (BOD), and full construction documents for HVAC and plumbing systems
- Interpret and apply code and program requirements for Title 24, CALGreen, IECC, building codes, LEED, WELL, CHPS, Living Building Challenge, Passive House and other relevant standards
- Review plans, documentation, and contractor submittals for compliance with requirements; provide peer review of plans developed by other engineers
- Provide construction administration (CA) services: complete field visits to review progress, verify compliance with goals, and solve field issues
- Prepare logically organized, technically accurate, and clearly presented emails, reports, plans and specifications
- Facilitate development of Owner's Project Requirements (OPR) documents with client at project initiation; coordinate and collaborate with clients and project teams to achieve goals as set out in OPR documents
- Grow into a project management role, acting as main point of contact for clients, tracking schedules and deliverables, and producing or delegating as needed to get the work done
- Leverage other team members' expertise or knowledge when needed; understand when to ask for help
- Outline work plans prior to starting work, maintain logically organized and labeled files, and adequately document decisions or activities
- Provide regular status updates or reports in web-based project tracking system and review progress with team
- Understand contracted work scopes, work within budgets and meet billable targets
- Establish thought leadership by writing blog posts, being active in outside organizations, and educating and engaging with the greater community
- Do what needs to be done that may fall outside your formalized job roles
- Mechanical engineering degree or equivalent education or experience, P.E. preferred
- Four years relevant post-academic work experience
- Commitment to professional excellence and high performance design demonstrated through continual learning, active involvement in organizations, and regular participation in conferences or events
- Technical aptitude with ability to quickly learn and integrate new concepts and tools
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (clear, concise, logically presented)
- Critical thinker with innate ability to challenge assumptions, ask the right questions, and solve problems
- Strong judgment with understanding of best way to proceed in challenging situations
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- High integrity, doing the right thing even when it's hard
- High initiative, always looking to improve things